It may be the Flint Hill Public House today, but there was time when locals knew our building as the Flint Hill School (1906 – 1960). As a matter of fact, the property still proudly hosts the original merry-go-round and playground slide.
The building became The School House Restaurant in 1992 and was a locals’ favorite dining spot until closing in 2008 as the Public House. Many who loved this important landmark were grateful when local businessmen William Waybourn and Craig Spaulding purchased the property and began an extensive effort to resurrect it.
Waybourn and Spaulding were dedicated to preserving the historic character of the structure, but also wanted to transform it into something creative, unexpected and modern. They hired noted Washington, D.C. architect Ernesto Santalla, and began a process that in the end exceeded expectation.
The complete renovation took the building down to the bare walls and included the moving of an interior stairwell to the outside to provide 24-hour access to the four luxury suites and lounge area on the expansive second floor – all of which can now be enjoyed privately by overnight guests of the Flint Hill Public House Inn.